Many rural residents use standby generators for extended outages. Proper use of a standby or portable generator is a must! A standby generator installation must have an approved double-throw transfer switch for two reasons:
- So it does not allow electricity from the generator to flow back into the power lines. Without this 120/240-volt electricity may feed back to your transformer where it would be stepped up to 7,200 volts. This would put crews and anyone who assumes the line is de-energized in danger.
- It protects your generator from damage when power is restored.
- Always follow manufacturer’s instructions and/or contact your electrician or utility.
- Under no circumstances should portable generators be used indoors even with ventilation. The primary hazards are carbon monoxide, toxic fumes, electric shock or fire.
- Always follow the directions supplied with the generator.
- Plug appliances directly into generator or use a properly rated outdoor extension cord.
- Never try powering the house by plugging the generator into a wall outlet; known as backfeeding. This is extremely dangerous and puts lives at risk.