Red River Valley Co-op Power does everything possible to keep the lights on and to restore service as soon as possible. By being prepared and informed, you can assist us in restoring power in the timeliest manner possible.
To report an outage, call 1-800-788-7784 for 24-hour outage repair.
Red River Valley Co-op Power's phones are answered 24/7. When the office is closed, a qualified dispatcher takes your call and reports the outage to appropriate crews. In the event of a widespread outage during non-business hours, office personnel are called in to answer phones. Should you find the phone lines busy, please be patient. We will answer your call as promptly as possible
If the power goes out
- Wait a few minutes to see if the power will come on by itself.
- If it does not, call your neighbors to see if they are off too.
- If they are, report that when you call in the outage.
- If your neighbors are not out of power, check your fuses or circuit breakers both in the house and on the meter pole (if you have fuses and breakers there). This is important because if you call the co-op and the problem causing the outage is on your side of the meter, you will be billed for the service call. Calls after regular hours will be billed at overtime service call rates.
- If the fuses or breakers are good, report the outage. You will be asked your name and meter number. If you have an idea of what may have caused the outage, please give this information also.
If someone at the residence depends on electrically operated medical equipment, coordinate an emergency plan with friends and relatives. Have back-up power if you need it and make sure we are aware of your situation so we can flag your account and put you on a priority power restoration list when possible.
Getting the lights back on
When your cooperative experiences multiple power outages, its goal is to restore service to the greatest number of members possible. Linemen begin at the power source and work their way out to individual services. Dangerous problems, such as downed power lines, are repaired as soon as possible.
- Make sure you have at least one good flashlight and the batteries are fresh.
- Place Red River Valley Co-op Power's (800) 788-7784 outage number and your fire number near your telephone.
- Have a battery powered radio with batteries ready. If the outage is lengthy, radio reports will be issued.
- If you have a generator be sure to follow safe operating procedures.
During an outage it is important to remember food safety. Per U.S. Government guidelines, keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to maintain the cold temperature. The refrigerator will keep food safely cold for about 4 hours if it is unopened. A full freezer will hold the temperature for approximately 48 hours (24 hours if it is half full) if the door remains closed. Use the refrigerator thermometer to check temperature in the refrigerator and freezer no matter how long the power has been out. The refrigerator temperature should be 40 °F or below; the freezer, 0 °F or lower. If you're not sure a particular food is cold enough, take its temperature with a food thermometer. More thorough information can be found by going to https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/refridg_food.html.